Friday, November 14, 2014

Sculpting New Beginnings...

Last weekend saw me ripping apart old work and sanding off the old sculpting and paint to get ready to begin again. Love great equipment especially when you can buy it on sale! Sanding down 9 pieces by hand would have taken forever, but with this handy dandy sander I was done in 4 hours! And now that I've got refurbished panels ready to go, I've spent the rest of this past week sculpting new pieces.

My last trip to Montreal I met with the director of the Shayne Gallery. She suggested I might think about adding some architectural elements to my work which totally got my juices flowing. Below are images of what I have sculpted so far. In my head I have a very clear picture of what the finished products will look like, but I know sometimes it's hard for others to get the idea of my direction. For those of you interested in the process though, here is what the sculpting looks like before I start painting. Remember these are refurbished panels so there is still some old paint which will, of course be painted over when I move on to that step once the sculpting material is dried. So please ignore the splotches of colour you see in the non-sculpted spaces!


 It's hard to see, but the wall behind the lock will be a brick wall. A beautiful sunset/sunrise scene will be painted in the centre. It's a panel that is 30 x 30 inches.


 I saw these cool old vintage doorknobs and thought that they would look really unique once sculpted and again, a beautiful view will be painted through the keyholes. Both of these pieces are 40 x 30 inches






 This piece was inspired by one of those old "peepholes" that have little doors that open and close. My old friend from kindergarten used to have one on their red front door and I always admired it. This is a larger piece, 48 x 36 inches, and when finished, I think it will be a real stunner.
 These last two pieces are inspired by old wood barns. I love the old painted wood boards and wanted to do a couple pieces where the wood was missing pieces. Again, I realize it's a bit hard to visualize, but trust me these 24 x 36 pieces are going to wow!





I still have two more big pieces to sculpt, so next week I'll give you a preview of those and hopefully have some of these smaller works painted and completed to share with you.

As always.... Thanks so much for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment