Friday, May 15, 2015

Snuggling Dogs, Clarity & Magic Moments

Last night I went for a walk with my little dog Bear up the hill to look out over Lake Ontario as the sun was setting. The sky was beautiful and the colours took my breath away. 



I sat on a bench for quite a while just drinking it in, dropping my shoulders, breathing deep, just letting a sense of peace wash over me.

Sunlight on the Rocks by Alison Galvan

Prints, Posters, Cards & More...

 And then it hit me. 
Lake Reflections by Alison Galvan

Prints, Posters, Cards & More...

All the stuff that had been bugging me, all the irritations, big and small,  disappeared, and everything seemed to get really really clear. 
Morning on the Rocks by Alison Galvan

Posters, Prints, Cards & More...

I don't know if it was the fresh air, the silence, or the happy warmth of my little dog snuggled up on my lap that did it, but light bulbs started flashing over my head like fireworks. 

On the Edge of the Storm by Alison Galvan

Posters, Prints, Cards & More....

I don't know about you, but I've struggled with meditation.  I can never seem to turn my brain off, or at least turn the volume down to low. I also try very hard putting into practice the ideas of visualization and manifesting too, but again, somehow, I always feel like I'm a bit of a fraud when I formally sit down to do so. My mind wanders, or embarrassingly, I fall asleep!

Storm Over the Wood by Alison Galvan

Posters, Prints, Cards & More...

But last night everything clicked. When I came off the top of that hill it was as if I was floating. The sun may have set on the day, but my horizons had expanded tenfold. 

Doorway to a New Journey by Alison Galvan

Posters, Prints, Cards & More...

I got back home and immediately put pen to paper making lists of all the things I wanted to do - inspiring ideas for new art pieces, ways in which to give my collectors a clearer view into my artwork and my process, what new art projects I can do with my seniors group at the retirement home, and how can I convey to my audience how much love I have for what I do and that I am grateful for all those that choose to share it with me. 

I really don't know how long it was that I sat there staring at the sky, and if that is what meditation is supposed to be like, then Hurray!, I finally did it and now I totally get why people sing it's praises.

Morning has Broken by Alison Galvan

Prints, Posters, Cards & More...

It was a wonderful experience - a magical moment.

And now, when I sit down each morning to figure out all that I have to do, at the top of my list I make sure to include one such moment. I write:

Me with my lovely little dog, Bear having a snuggle

Every evening at sunset, hike to the top of the hill, breathe deep, and with your heart reach up and see if you can touch the sky. 

1 comment:

  1. I can SO relate to your struggle to relax your brain enough to truly be able to meditate, and appreciate your sharing your experience on here. I too have just finally discovered the amazement of meditating, but can't say I have yet reached that full blown "AH-HA, so THIS is it!" breakthrough with it as you have. Still waiting on it. I'm so glad I found your blog because it has added so much to the inspiration you have already been to me, not only as an Artist, but as a well-rounded spirited awesome person. Thank you Alison for sharing "you" with everyone who has ever had the priviledge to meet you, but especially myself and my daughter. - Judy Bennett

    ReplyDelete