Friday, November 7, 2014

Growing Pains of Evolution

In the past weeks I have received a lot of feedback regarding some of my newer pieces, pieces that in my mind are some of my strongest work. The problem is, is that not all of the feedback has been positive, in fact much has been quite negative, and so, for the past week I have really been struggling with self-doubt - am I on the right track, should I skip sculpting and just paint, have I just not found my target audience / gallery yet, etc...







My work is evolving and has changed enormously from what it was when I first started doing landscapes. And I guess as it changes somethings are getting better and better (such as my painting of my sky and reflections) and perhaps somethings just don't fit anymore, or at least don't fit in the form they are in anymore and need to evolve and change too (like my sculpting of the tree branches). Not everything grows at the same place, and like an awkward teenager whose just gone through a growth spurt and now finds themselves tripping and falling clumsily about as they get used to their new dimensions, so too, am I struggling to find my way in my creations.



Consequently I have been doing a lot of thinking, spending quiet time alone determining my next course of action and while it wasn't pleasant to hear the negatives, I'm actually pretty grateful (now!) because all this thinking is making me push myself and I've come up with a whole host of new ideas, ideas that I can't wait to begin creating!

In the coming weeks I'll be posting images of work in process. I have ripped apart old sculpting and I am sanding down my wood panels to begin again. I have ordered more paint and I have been researching my ideas on line to clarify my vision. I am ready to launch myself to the next level and I can't wait to get started!

Until next week...

Thanks for all your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment